Your January Maintenance Tip
In California, all residential properties with a fossil fuel burning heater, fireplace or attached garage are required to have a carbon monoxide detector installed.
Make sure your home and your family are covered by:
• installing a carbon monoxide detector on each floor of your home;
• purchasing alarms with battery backups in case of a power outage;
• performing weekly checks to ensure alarms are functional;
• ensuring detectors are close to the sleeping area so they will be heard if the alarms go off; and
• not idling your car in the garage, using a gas oven to heat your home or using appliances that do not vent fumes outside.
If you are having your home appraised, the appraiser will be checking to make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector installed. Having one installed before the appraisal will save you time and money.